3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, earth balance, or vegan margarine
1 cup well chilled butter milk, or 1 cup nondairy milk mixed with 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
1. Preheat the oven to 425. To make buttermilk, add 1 tablespoon lemon juice to 1 cup of nondairy milk. Whisk and set aside.
2. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a medium mixing bowl. Cut in butter or earth balance using a pastry blender until the mixture resembles course crumbs. Add buttermilk (nondairy mixture) and mix until a sticky dough has formed.
3. Dump dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for a few strokes just until dough is evenly mixed. Kneading too much will make the biscuits tough.
4. Press dough out until it is 1 inch thick and cut out biscuits. Re knead and repress the dough until all the dough has been shaped into biscuits.
5. Bake until biscuits are firm to the touch and the bottoms and tops are lightly browned, about 15-18 minutes. Serve hot.